About the Scheme:
Sneha Sparsha, literally meaning the ‘touch of love’, is the recent unique Health Care Initiative for Children below 12 years of age launched by the Department of Health & Family Welfare, Government of Assam. The scheme, being implemented by NHM, Assam, was flagged off on 15 th April 2013, the first day of Assamese New Year, with an allotted fund of Rs 5 Crore for the Fiscal Year 2012-13.
Sneha Sparsha is a striving public health initiative that aims at bearing expenditure of very high-end specialized treatment such as Thalassemia requiring Bone Marrow Transplant, Liver and Kidney transplant, and Cochlear Implant.
Families with annual income less than Rs. 2.50 Lakh shall be eligible for availing benefits under the scheme, while priority shall be given to BPL families.
The beneficiary or guardians shall have to submit an Income Certificate issued by competent authority such as the Deputy Commissioner, Sub-Divisional Circle Officer, Circle Officer, Block Development Officer or any other authority notified by Govt from time to time to be eligible for financial assistance.
Place of treatment for disease admissible under Sneha Sparsha Scheme:
Treatment of some of the admissible procedures under the scheme may be done in the Medical College Hospitals and other Hospitals inside the state, whereas treatment of some of the diseases may require referral to suitable Health Institutions outside the state. Sneha Sparsha Committee shall recommend, depending on the merit of the case, either referral of a case for super specialty treatment outside the state, or consider reimbursement of the medical expenses incurred while undergoing treatment in the Medical College Hospitals and other Hospitals of the state. For the purpose of referral, the committee shall also recommend the designated Hospital outside the state. For both the groups, financial assistance will be offered under the Sneha Sparsha Scheme.
Permitted procedure and the maximum amount admissible: The rates notified are indicative and the actual admissible amount shall be fixed through a transparent process:
- Bone Marrow Transplant: Children with Leukemia (Blood Cancer) and other conditions like Thalassemia, in which Bone Marrow Transplant may be considered as a mode of treatment. The Sneha Sparsha Scheme will offer financial assistance up to Rs. 10 Lakh per case for referral of such cases to leading Hospitals outside the state equipped with facilities for such treatment.
- Cochlear implant: Children in need of Cochlear implant will be given assistance up to Rs. 5.35 Lakh per case to BPL beneficiaries and Rs. 3.00 Lakh per case to APL beneficiaries for referral of such cases to Hospitals outside the state, if necessary.
- Liver Transplant: For Children in need of Liver Transplant, the scheme will offer financial assistance of up to Rs. 16.00 Lakh per case to BPL beneficiaries and Rs. 10.00 Lakh per case to APL beneficiaries. Necessary arrangement shall be made for referral of such cases to leading Hospitals outside the state with state–of–the–art facilities for such treatment.
- Kidney Transplant: Similarly children in need of Renal Treatment will be given financial assistance up to Rs. 3.00 Lakh per case to BPL beneficiaries and Rs. 2.00 Lakh per case to APL beneficiaries for referral of such cases to Hospitals outside the state, if necessary.
- Artificial Limb: Children in need of Artificial Limbs will be provided with financial assistance of up to Rs. 1.00 Lakh for Cosmetic Limb and up to Rs. 2.50 Lakh if Motorized Artificial Limb is considered necessary.
- Blood Cancer: For treatment of Blood Cancer in children with Chemotherapy, financial assistance up to Rs. 1.00 Lakh per case will be given.
- Specialized Eye Surgery: For children in need of Specialized Eye Surgery like Retinal Surgery or Posterior Segment Procedure, an amount of Rs 15 Thousand will be given as assistance.
- Tumours: Children suffering from various types of solid tumours needing costly investigations and treatment with Chemotherapy and Radiotherapy will be given financial assistance of up to Rs. 25 thousand. Children in need of cancer related surgery will be given financial assistance of up to Rs. 50 Thousand.
- Neurological Anomalies: Children born with Neurological Anomalies like Hydrocephalus and Spina Bifida will be given assistance up to Rs. 50 Thousand for investigation, surgical treatment and rehabilitation.
- Thalassemia: Financial assistance of Rs. 1.00 Lakh will be provided to children suffering from Thalassemia, who are not fit for Bone Marrow Transplant but require specialized treatment like splenectomy, blood transfusion and associated medicines.
Out of these, first five conditions shall be considered for referral outside the State and the rest of the procedures (Sl vi to Sl x) treatment is available in the Medical College Hospitals and other Hospitals inside the state.